Tennys Sandgren pulled off a massive five set victory over fifth seed Dominic Thiem in a controversial match which saw the former accuse a spectator in his opponent’s box of clapping during his serve. The American star, who had never played a five set match before Monday night, overcame the early squabble to send the Austrian spiralling and secure a spot in the top eight.
Then came Hyeon Chung’s turn to shake things up.
The South Korean star already had an upset under his belt after downing World No. 4 Alexander Zverev in the third round before taking on childhood idol Novak Djokovic, but nobody expected what followed in the fourth round.
The 21-year-old blasted the former World No. 1 out of his Australian Open kingdom in a straight sets masterclass which saw him mirror his opponent’s famous baseline dominiance and come away with a historic victory.
Chung became the first Korean men’s player to reach a grand slam quarterfinal and joined Marat Safin and Roger Federer as one of only three men to down Djokovic in straight sets at Melbourne Park.
ROD LAVER ARENA
(17) Madison Keys (USA) defeated (8) Caroline Garcia (FRA) 6-3 6-2
(21) Angelique Kerber (GER) defeated Su-Wei Hsieh (TPE) 4-6 7-5 6-2
(2) Roger Federer (SUI) defeated Marton Fucsovics (HUN) 6-4 7-6 6-2
Hyeon Chung (KOR) (14) defeated Novak Djokovic (SRB) 7-6 7-5 7-6
(20) Barbora Strycova (CZE) v (6) Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 7-6 3-6 2-6
MARGARET COURT ARENA
(1) Latisha Chan (TPE)/Andrea Sestini Hlavackova (CZE) defeated (14) Hao-Ching Chan (TPE)/Katarina Srebotnik (SLO) 6-3 6-2
(19) Tomas Berdych (CZE) defeated (25) Fabio Fognini (ITA) 6-1 6-4 6-4
Timea Babos (HUN)/Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) defeated Viktorija Golubic (SUI)/Nina Stojanovic (SRB) v (5) 7-5 6-2
(1) Simona Halep (ROU) defeated Naomi Osaka (JPN) 6-3 6-2
(1) Lukasz Kubot (POL)/Marcelo Melo (BRA) defeated (16) Rajeev Ram (USA)/Divij Sharan (IND) 3-6 7-6 6-4
Ben McLachlan (JPN)/Jan-Lennard Struff (GER) defeated Pablo Carreno Busta (ESP)/Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) 6-4 7-6